Ka-Mar Conversations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Desserts

4 posters

Go down

Desserts Empty Desserts

Post by Kacy Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:18 am

I thought I would start off with one of my personal favorites. My mom has been making this for a long time and I finally asked for the recipe. My husband has said that this is the cake he wants for his birthdays from now on, if that tells you anything Laughing

No Frost Oatmeal Cake

1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup margarine
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
2 beaten eggs
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup chocolate chips (who are we kidding, I always add more Razz )

Pour boiling water over oatmeal. Add margarine. Let set for 10 minutes. Stir in all ingredients except for chocolate chips. Pour into 9x13 greased pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and bake at 350 for 35 to 40 minutes.

Serves 12 (Again, who are we kidding, this is chocolate cake! I'll fight off the other 11 people and devour the cake myself Laughing )
Kacy
Kacy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Desserts Empty Re: Desserts

Post by petunia846 Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:06 am

Interesting, never heard of that one.

When I have to go to a pot luck I like to take a big bowl of homemade marshmallows. If you've only ever had those jet puffed marshmallows in the bag, you will not believe the difference. These are incredible. They're creamy and melt in your mouth. Unbelievable. The first time making them is kind of scary because you have to make a boiling sugar syrup, but once you get used to that it's really quite easy and sooo worth it.

This is the recipe I use from Alton Brown:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/homemade-marshmallows-recipe/index.html

petunia846

Back to top Go down

Post by mar Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:28 am

So I get made fun of a lot for not cooking, but it isn't that I can't cook. I just don't see the point in cooking, only for my husband to get stuck at work, be home late, and already have eaten! (He works for a grocery store with killer prepared foods)! Anyway, this is an all time favorite of mine.

SKOR BAR CAKE

1 box yellow cake mix (plain)
1 sm. box instant chocolate pudding
2 eggs
2 c. milk
4 Skor bars, crushed

Mix cake mix, pudding, eggs and milk together. Pour into 9 x 13 x 2 inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 35 minutes.

TOPPING:

Mix by hand:

1 c. powdered sugar
2 egg yolks
1/4 c. soft butter

Beat together until creamy. Fold in 8 ounce Cool Whip. Spread on cake. Sprinkle the Skor bars over top of cake (and sides). Keep refrigerated.

I know you can mess around with the icing quite a bit. We usually just do powdered sugar and cool whip, no butter or egg yolks. But either way, it is so delicious. I don't even like cake, but this is so chewy and perfect! Also, it's pretty easy.
mar
mar
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LGiaPeace Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:13 pm

Hey, havent been on in awhile - but love this thread! Always looking for new recipes and lol Kacy I love the sub-title.
Ok this one sounds boring but they are good and you can do a lot too them (personalize etc)

Domino Sugar Cookies

1 egg
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp lemon extract
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 sticks butter ( i use margarine)
2 1/4 cup flour

Mix egg, butter, extract. Then stir in sugar. Separately mix the baking pwdr & flour. Then add dry to wet mix. Drop spoon sized amounts onto ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten each with bottom of a glass. Sprinkle small amount of sugar on each. Then Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes until edges set. Let stand on cookie sheet for 1-2 minutes before removing. Then cool on a rack.

If you would rather with icing - do not add the sugar before baking.
Let cool on a rack for 15 minutes before icing or cookie may crumble.

CHANGES:
To make into cut-out cookies at 1/3 cup orange juice plus 1/4 cup more of flour. Roll dough on flat surface and cut out shapes. Still use an ungreased cookie sheet.

For different flavors - you can change the extract. Around christmas time - we make a couple different versions.
Use Rum Extract and Add pecans
Use Vanilla Extract and add dried Cranberries and Walnuts
etc etc. Its a very flexible recipe.
LGiaPeace
LGiaPeace

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum